The 5th Sunday of Easter
Sunday, May 19 at 8:00am and 10:30am
Our scripture readings each Sunday are prescribed by the Revised Common Lectionary, first published in in 1994. It is the product of collaboration between the Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Presbyterian, and United Methodist churches in North America. I think it’s pretty neat that all of us are reading and studying the same Bible passages each week.
Equally delightful is the way the chosen readings so often come together in support of each other as they do this Sunday. The Gospel reading is John 13:31-35, which includes Christ’s command to love one another as he has loved us. What this looks like in practice is described by Peter in Acts 11:1-18 as he defends his acceptance and fellowship with “the uncircumcised.” The purpose of loving one another is revealed in Revelation 21:1-6, where we hear God proclaim “I am making all things new.” What a lovely message for our confirmands who will making their affirmation of baptism this Sunday!
St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church (Cedar Rapids, IA) is a mid-size, progressive Reconciling in Christ
congregation looking for a half-time (20 hours a week) Minister for Faith Life to do ministry with persons
from birth to 35 years of age.
• Children’s Ministry
- facilitate the support of family-led Sunday School for children preK-5th grade, including staffing,
- resource, organize and facilitate special events and activities, e.g. Rally Day, Christmas program,
Easter Egg Hunt, Trunk or Treat.
• Middle School Youth
- co-teach Confirmation classes on Wednesday evenings.
- recruit, organize and support mentors.
- plan and execute serving learning, outdoor ministry and fellowship opportunities.
• High School Youth
- organize faith formation opportunities on Sunday mornings and/or Wednesdays evenings,
including fellowship, service learning, and outdoor ministry.
- plan and lead an annual high school mission trip.
• Young Adults
- prepare and share a weekly online Bible study/devotion.
- organize and lead a quarterly fellowship, service learning or other event.
• Sunday morning presence (9:00am to 12:00pm) to model faithful discipleship in and around worship,
hospitality and fellowship; support and/or lead faith formation activities.
• Wednesday evening presence (6:30-8:30pm) to model faithful discipleship in and around worship,
service, learning, and fellowship; support and/or lead faith formation activities.
• Additional Duties (averaging 15 hours/week)
- planning, organizing, resourcing.
- fostering relationships with children, youth, and young adults (and their families) including
appropriate face-to-face, phone, text, email and social media interactions.
- professional development through the ELCA Youth Ministry Network.
• Reports to the Pastor, and works in a spirit of cooperation with the Children’s Ministry Team, Youth
Ministry Team, other staff, and members of the congregation.
• Annual reviews are conducted by the Personnel Committee.
• Passion for helping children, youth, and young adults grow in faith and discipleship.
• Strengths in relationship building, communication, and organizational skills.
• Biblical knowledge and a theological understanding of our Lutheran heritage.
• Commitment to the mission, vision and values of St. Stephen’s.
• A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably with
certification in Youth Ministry or willingness to be seek certification.
• Must have a valid driver’s license, and pass driving history and criminal background checks.
• $15 per hour.
• $1000 per year for professional development (i.e. Extravaganza)
• up to $1000 when leading a mission trip or doing continuing education that results in loss of income
from a second job
• 4 weeks vacation, including 4 Sundays and 4 Wednesdays
• 2 weeks professional development, including 2 Sundays and 2 Wednesdays.
To learn more about St. Stephen’s check us out at www.ssluth.com and on Facebook.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume, letter of intent and list of references to:
Pastor Ritva Williams
St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church
610 31st Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52403
Who is St Stephen's Lutheran Church
We are a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located in the Southeastern Iowa Synod.
At St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church, we recognize the need to proclaim openly that the gospel is God’s gift to all people to be shared unconditionally.
As a community aspiring to a be a spiritual home for all God’s people, we welcome all persons, without exception, without regard for age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, financial or family status, physical or mental abilities, or any other human distinction used to discriminate and exclude.
St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church (ELCA) is a Reconciling in Christ congregation that welcomes diversity, which enriches, nurtures and challenges our life and ministry. Come and join us as we know, live, and share Christ together in love.
Images of St Stephen's.....
To Know, Live, and Share Christ
St. Stephen's Lutheran Church, ELCA
610 31st Street SE | Cedar Rapids, IA 52403 | 319-364-2637 | ©2014